Registered Already?

Please enter your email and password to access your account.

Forgot log in email or password?

Not Registered?

Get all the benefits of SEIU membership. Register now!

Recreational Vehicle Insurance

Recreational Vehicle Insurance

Motor homes, also referred to as “recreational vehicles” (RVs), are treated much differently than mobile homes for insurance purposes. While the protection for motor homes is similar to automobile insurance, there are nevertheless many differences.

According to the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association, RVs are specialized vehicles with unique insurance needs. Coverage on furnishings, fixtures, appliances and personal items are among the many differences between regular automobile and RV insurance. The high cost of RVs and the potential for extensive physical damage in an accident mean the ordinary coverage minimums that apply to passenger cars are too low. Additionally, since many RVs are driven by people who aren't accustomed to the extra size and length, insurers believe there is a greater risk for accidents.

Some carriers will issue a certificate of insurance that applies to an RV. In other cases, if you have rental car coverage as part of your automobile insurance package, it will apply, but only if your physical damage limits are increased. Always discuss your personal insurance needs with your own insurance agent/representative.

If you are renting an RV, you will need to make sure you have adequate insurance. Many companies that rent RVs offer insurance, but it might not be the best deal. Here are some of the things to watch for when renting an RV:

  • Is the insurance included in the rental price?
    If not, does the stand-alone price make sense? A $12-a-day insurance policy might not seem like much, but over a year's time that would work out to more than $4,300 for the policy.

  • What is the deductible amount?
    Most RV policies start with a $500 deductible and go as high as $2,000.

  • Is the liability coverage adequate?
    You should have at least $100,000 of liability protection, as well as $100,000 of property damage protection.

  • Are you covered for towing?
    Your policy should provide for high towing limits.

  • Are you covered for medical expenses if someone is injured?
    Check the medical payment and personal injury provisions of the policy to make sure that you or your passengers are covered for medical expenses.

  • Does the policy provide replacement cost for personal property damaged or stolen from inside the motor home?
    Check to see if your homeowners insurance might cover these items.

price tag icon
Exclusive Benefits
Calculating rates

SEIU Auto and Home Insurance Program

Protect your home and vehicles at competitive rates.

Need Help? Contact Us